2012 Morning Fog Chardonnay
Enjoy aromas and flavors of green apple and tropical fruits, balanced by subtle oak, cinnamon and vanilla from barrel aging. With a mouth-filling body and balanced acidity, this wine delivers a medium-long, refreshing finish.
Each summer morning, fog billows inland through the Golden Gate, pushed by Pacific wind streams into the bowl of the San Francisco Bay. Here, it forms deep fog banks that rest on the East Bay Hills. In just one place, the Livermore Valley, with its unique East-West orientation, the fog banks come further east, cooling the air as it goes. This daily phenomenon creates the Mediterranean or Marine climate found in less than 1% of the world’s land mass. And it makes the San Francisco Bay and Livermore Valley appellations ideal for growing wine grapes that are beautifully balanced. This Chardonnay, named Morning Fog, pays homage to this rare climate.
50% of this wine was barrel fermented in neutral French, American, and Eastern European oak. The other 50% was fermented in stainless steel tanks to preserve the natural fruit flavors inherent in this Chardonnay.
The barrel fermented portion was aged sur lie for 7 months. Batonnage, the art of stirring the barrels, was performed monthly. The stainless steel portion was aged on lees for 7 months.
- 91 points, Toronto Star, Canada, May 2014
- 90 points, Winealign.com, Top 20 Under $20, Canada, May 2014
- 89 points, The Globe & Mail, Canada, January 2014
- Best Buy in BC, Winealign.com, Canada, January 2014
- Silver, California State Fair Wine Competition, June 2014
- Silver, Alameda County Wine Competition, May 2014
- Silver, San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, January 2014