2010 Riva Ranch Chardonnay
This medium-bodied Chardonnay has a rich, golden color and aromas and flavors of tropical fruit, honey, cinnamon and light floral notes, balanced by subtle oak, butter and vanilla from barrel aging. It has a round mouthfeel and a long, fruity finish.
Arroyo Seco is widely regarded as one of the best places in California to grow Chardonnay. Riva Ranch is the name of the Wente family’s vineyard in Arroyo Seco, where we have been growing Chardonnay since the 1960’s. Wente Vineyards was the first California winery to produce a wine labeled as Chardonnay in 1936. Today, many of the great Chardonnay vineyards in California are planted with the Wente Clone. Riva Ranch is presently planted to three Dijon clones and two Wente clones: clone 2A which had been originally selected for its intense varietal character and low yield, and clone 4, a second generation Wente clone. The cool growing season and the deep gravelly soil ripen the Chardonnay perfectly, creating a natural balance of sugar and acidity.
This wine was barrel fermented in French, American, Eastern European, and neutral oak. A small portion of the wine was fermented and in stainless steel and blended in to enhance the fruit character.
This wine was aged for 10 months in French, American, Eastern European, and neutral oak.
- Best of Show/ Gold Medal, Best of the Bay Wine Competition, May 2012
- Reserve Class Champion, Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Competition, January 2012
- 89pts. Silver Medal, California State Fair, June 2012
- Silver Medal, Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Competition, February 2013
- Silver Medal, Dallas Morning News Wine Competition, February 2012
- Silver Medal, San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, January 2012
- Silver Medal, Northwest Food & Wine Festival, November 2011