2010 Morning Fog Chardonnay
Enjoy aromas and flavors of green apple and tropical fruits, balanced by subtle oak, cinnamon and vanilla from barrel aging. With a mouth-filling body and balanced acidity, this wine delivers a medium-long, refreshing finish.
Each summer morning, fog billows inland through the Golden Gate, pushed by Pacific wind streams into the bowl of the San Francisco Bay. Here, it forms deep fog banks that rest on the East Bay Hills. In just one place, the Livermore Valley, with its unique East-West orientation, the fog banks come further east, cooling the air as it goes. This daily phenomenon creates the Mediterranean or Marine climate found in less than 1% of the world’s land mass. And it makes the San Francisco Bay and Livermore Valley appellations ideal for growing wine grapes that are beautifully balanced. This Chardonnay, named Morning Fog, pays homage to this rare climate.
50% of this wine was barrel fermented in French oak, while the balance was fermented in stainless steel tanks to preserve the natural fruit flavors inherent in this Chardonnay.
The barrel fermented portion was aged sur lie for 7 months. Batonnage, the art of stirring the barrels, was performed monthly. The stainless steel portion was aged on lees for 7 months.
- 89 points/ Best Buy, Wine Enthusiast, August 2012
- Best of Class, Gold Medal, California State Fair June 2012
- 90 points, Winnipeg Free Press, Canada, February 2012
- 88 points, Natalie MacClean, Sympatico Lifestyle, Canada, February 2012
- 87 points/ Great Value, Toronto Life, Canada, April 2012
- 3.5 Stars, Vines Magazine Buyers Guide, Canada, June 2012
- Silver Medal, Best of the Bay Wine Competition, May 2012
- Silver Medal, Dallas Morning News Wine Competition, February 2012
- Silver Medal, Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Competition, January 2012