2009 Reliz Creek Pinot Noir
This Pinot Noir has beautiful aromas and flavors of cherry, strawberry and vanilla, with subtleties of toasted oak, earth and cigar box. With bright, natural acidity and delicate tannins, this wine has a long fruity finish.
Since the early 1960’s, Wente Vineyards has been growing Pinot Noir in the Arroyo Seco region of Monterey. This wine was named after the creek that runs through the Estate vineyards. Arroyo Seco is the ideal region to grow this Burgundian varietal because of the long, cool growing season, which allows the grapes to fully ripen and develop deep fruit flavors. The gravelly-loam soils found here, rich with shale and limestone deposits, impart desirable earthy and mineral qualities to the wine. There are several blocks dating back to 1963, which are planted with the old Pommard and Martini clones. Neighboring these are much more recent, high-density plantings that include a variety of new clones. All of the fruit is hand picked and sorted.
This wine was fermented in upright stainless steel tanks and gently pumped over twice daily.
This wine was aged for 20 months in a combination of French, Eastern European and neutral oak barrels.
- 18 Of The Best Pinot Noirs, Decanter Magazine California Issue, 2013
- Gold Medal, San Diego International Wine Competition, February 2012
- 87 points, Wine Enthusiast, October 2012
- Silver Medal, San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, February 2013
- Silver Medal, Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Competition, February 2013
- Silver Medal, Denver International Wine Competition, October 2012
- Silver Medal, California State Fair, June 2012
- Silver Medal, Best of the Bay Wine Competition, May 2012